Friday, August 21, 2009

Recommended Reads...


For the past couple of days, I’ve been reading and studying about China, its people and their experiences during the Cultural Revolution. The interest began when I read a book I grabbed for sale at Magrudy’s called “Wild Swans, Three daughters of China” by Jung Chang. The book tells of a harrowing experience of the author during Mao Zedong’s era and how she and her remaining family members survived the trauma and torments of their generation.

Before I read the book, I was pretty positive that I would not cry over it believing that I was not hypersensitive to cry about someone I don’t know of (unless the story talks about a pet which I admit I am more susceptible to tears^^). However, in the middle of the story, at the chapter where her parents were branded and condemned as capitalist-roaders/ counter-revolutionaries and torture were put into practice, my soft side for people gave in and tears began to flow endlessly.

Going back to my early college years, I used to dream of being a Chinese. To have a fair and smooth skin, straight black hair and chinkee little eyes. Then I remembered that dreaming of it meant dreaming that my parents were also Chinese. Suddenly, I started thanking God. Oh, how lucky I was to be born Filipino, my parents didn’t have to go through such a difficult and traumatic life.

Now, I am halfway through Chinese Lives, an oral history of contemporary China by Zhang Xinxin and Sang Ye which I also got on sale at a bookstore somewhere in Starmall, Las Pinas. (I’m actually a cheapster who frequents herself in booksale and other second-hand bookstores looking for hidden treasures^^). Contrary to Wild Swans which is a sole personal account of the author, this book is a compilation of stories by 60+ individuals but who just like Ms. Chang told their sufferings and agony in old-age China.

I’m glad I’m becoming more and more engrossed and interested in learning and studying Asia (particularly China & Korea’s History). I’m even thinking of getting membership at the local Culture & Heritage library so I can borrow and read as much books as I want.

But with all those interesting volumes available for check out, I wonder what to read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment