Friday, August 21, 2009

Hankook Korean Restaurant


fter a year and a half eating at Hankook Restaurant, I guess it’s just apt that I write a review of its food, location, staff and service in general.

We started frequenting Hankook earlier last year through my future “sis-in-law’s” referral. Since I had visited a couple of Korean Restaurants in Dubai e.g. Seoul Garden in Karama & Shogun in Deira and had developed severe addiction to Bibimbap, I badly wanted to find a KR Resto in Abu Dhabi where I could enjoy authentic Korean cuisine whenever my palate cries for it.

Thus… Hankook Kwan.

Location: Perhaps the sole Korean Restaurant in Abu Dhabi, Hankook is located opposite the Main Bus & Taxi Terminal near Al Wahda Mall. The best landmark is behind the Golden Motor Shop along Defense Road (Old Passport). The location is very much convenient for us since it only takes approximately 5 minutes taxi ride from my workplace (Airport Rd.) and perhaps 10 minutes from our flat (Najda St.). However, new comers should pay extra attention when locating the area since it is not visible from the road and is in fact concealed behind buildings/ main thoroughfare.

Food: Real Koreans say it lacks the taste of a genuine Korean cuisine (probably because of the ingredients not being entirely imported from Korea) but since I am not a real Hanguk Saram and is just happy with anything Korean, the taste in effect satisfies me. In fact we have set our taste buds in appreciating simple cuisines like Dolsot Bibimbap, Kimbap, Bulgogi and Ojingeo Bok. So much so that the attending staff became so familiar with our orders (literally the exact same menu everytime^^) that it became unnecessary to list them down.

Staff: Most attendants are Filipinas (except for the cook and kitchen staff) so politeness and extra attention are always there (right Unni?). Even if I cannot practice my deteriorating Hangungmal, I'd still say two thumbs up!

Theme/ Settings: Like all traditional Korean restaurants, Hankook is divided into several private rooms (8, I suppose) with low tables and mats. At the rear part of the restaurants are regular dining tables which can be used by non-Korean/ non-traditional diners if they don’t feel comfortable seating the Korean way (which sometimes happens to me) or if the traditional rooms are fully occupied.

Price: In Seoul, I had the chance to compare prices between restaurants there (i.e. Yam Saem & Dae Bak Jib) and Hankook. Unfortunately, prices here are sky high more expensive than its counterpart in Korea. For example. a bowl of Dolsot Bibimbap will cost AED 45 or PHP 550 in Hankook where you can get the exact same meal for only KRW 6000 or PHP 250 in Korea. That’s PHP300 savings, almost like buy one - take one! But then, who will go to Korea just to save Php 300 for a bowl of bibimbap? Better learn the recipe online ;p

Hankook Korean Restaurant - PO Box 30915, Abu Dhabi
Tel: 02-6423399

No comments:

Post a Comment